Friday, January 25, 2013

The perks of being...divorced



Divorce gets a bad rap, I think. Through my own personal experiences, divorce is fantastic. When I was like 6 or 7, my parents got divorced. And I have to be honest; I think I turned out pretty damn good.  After all, I did get two Christmas’s and birthday's AND I finally got to eat that sugary cereal that the other parent wouldn't allow me to enjoy.  As I got older, meaning an “adult”, this really worked to my advantage. Especially since the divorced parental units lived about ten minutes away from each other and I lived right smack dab in the middle of them both. Perfect. So this is how my plan would play out. If ever I was out of, let’s say toilet paper and paper towels, I could run to one parents house for toilet paper, and then conveniently show up at the other’s house around dinner time, so not only did I score paper towels and toilet paper, but also a free meal. Genius.  This plan was carried out for the majority of my twenties.

Now, I’m not saying that the whole divorce experience was always rainbows and butterflies, because it definitely wasn't, but the perks far outweighed the negatives.  I do have to give these parental units SOME credit, though. I do adapt to change really well and I get an A+ for going with the flow.

Sometimes, you don’t always get a choice what happens in your life.  Sometimes, you have to let others call the shots for a while.  Sometimes, it sucks. Or sometimes, if you’re lucky, you get to avoid going to the grocery store during tourist season.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment